Amazon Banner

Friday, July 27, 2012

Crossfit modality is a needed change of pace

Today for the first time in a long time I did a Crossfit Workout of the Day (WOD) instead of my usual Stronglifts 5x5 workout.  I used to do Crossfit or similar workouts regularly, and like CF and what it accomplishes for functional fitness.

Today's WOD was push presses with 75 pounds, 100 reps and then 10 muscle-ups, all for time.  Since I can't to muscle-ups the substitution is 3 pull-ups and 3 dips for each muscle-ups.  Substitution number 2:  Since I didn't have a dip bar, I did 6 bench dips.  Overall it was a good hard workout that I completed in a decent time. 

I learned a couple of quick lessons today.  First, mental conditioning for different kinds of work is important and can't be overlooked.  A couple of times during the 100 push presses I re-racked the bar to immediately realize I could have done another rep or two.  Second, my body is very conditioned to lift a certain plan after doing 5x5 as my main workout for almost 2 years.  5 reps followed by 1-3 minutes rest is quite different than as many reps as can be done well, rest, do as many again, over and over!  I probably was breathing harder than if I had been running!

Time for sleep, and wondering how I'll feel when DOMS sets in!

No comments:

Post a Comment