Amazon Banner

Saturday, December 14, 2013

The Return of the Son of Portion Control

I travel a significant amount due to my job (Side note:  The blogging and "YouTube World Domination Plan" basically makes enough for a cup of coffee most months...)   When you travel, you tend to eat one of three places:  The continental breakfast at the hotel, fast food places/pizza joints, and full service restaurants.  What I have noticed after returning to this job from my "vacation" in Afghanistan was that I eat much more when I'm on the road, and generally feel bloated and almost sick by Thursday most weeks.  As we tend to go back to the same locales over and over like most business travelers, it wasn't as much what I ate as how much I ate.

I normally don't eat breakfast, or much for breakfast, but I love the waffle irons most hotels have.  At one extreme the Hilton Garden Inns have a full up breakfast buffet and include anything on the morning menu!  Can you say huge omelettes or Eggs Benedict AND a waffle?  I sure have to my waitress more than once!  Then a nice combo meal from a fast food joint, and by the time we head out to supper I shouldn't even get an appetizer, let alone the dinner special with a shared appetizer.  At least we get one appetizer for every two or three of us.  Except for Chili's chips.  Gotta have lots of Chili's chips.....

So after a few days of that, I feel pretty full/bloated.  I experimented in week three of three on the road last month, and the weeks at home afterwards with portion control.  Even with Thanksgiving Dinner thrown in there, where portion control is ensuring the portions all fit on multiple plates, I felt much better the last week on the road and the two weeks at home.  This week on the road I passed up on the waffle two mornings (heresy I know) and didn't even eat lunch two days-I snacked on reasonably healthy things including fruit.  I had much more energy and felt better-even with the usual adjustements of sleeping and life on the road.  I'm not sure how it will help with the extra ten pounds or so I am carrying-that will also require more workouts, but just the quality of life changes are encouraging!

So I'd recommend watching how much you eat as well as what you eat-you'll likely find yourself more energetic and feeling better too.  Have a blessed weekend-

No comments:

Post a Comment