Amazon Banner

Thursday, March 29, 2012

What are your goals?

Goal setting, and the discipline to pursue long-term goals, is a dying art.  As the old saying goes, "If you aim for nothing, you're sure to hit it".  So let's talk about goals for a few minutes.  What are your goals?  Obviously you have some health and fitness goals, or you wouldn't be reading this blog.  So what goals did you set?  Are they something like, "Lose weight and get in shape"?  "Look better at my High School reunion/child's wedding/insert big event here"?  I hate to break it to you, but those aren't goals, or at least well developed ones.  And anyway, as one friend jokes, round is a shape, so if your goal is to "get in shape".....

To be effective a goal must be defined and have two key components, and one recommended, super secret, near fail-safe component.  The two required components are:
Defined and measurable
Time limited

So what does this look like?  Let's start with the old stand-by "lose weight and get in shape".  First we have to define what this means, and what it means to you.  Do you really want to lose weight, or fat?  Do you need to lose a few pounds to look and feel better, or do you need to lose serious weight that is killing you?  And what does get in shape mean to you?  Walk/run a 5K, an Olympic distance triathlon, fit in a certain pair of "skinny jeans"?  All are valid and a better defined and measurable goal might be:

"I will lose 10 pounds of fat and run a 5K in July"
"I will gain strength and muscle while losing fat and squat my bodyweight by August"
"I will complete a century bicycle ride in 2012"

And what is the super secret recommendation to make your goal a success?  Put your goal out there with a high-risk, public commitment!  Find a positive friend, tell them your goal, see if they want to participate with you, but definitely hold you to it.  This has been one of my secrets, and "forcing mechanisms" for a variety of goals over the past years, and I know it will work for you!

Comments?  Or post your goals for us to encourage you!

2 comments:

  1. I suppose saying, "I want to lose weight and be a hottie" isn't a very well defined goal right? :-)

    I have big goals this year. Lose 4 pants sizes by the end of the year. Run a 5k on October 21st. Have more energy through losing weight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are great and I know you are serious from reading your blog, and I look forward to seeing you progress! Way to go taking the first action steps, Sandra!

      Delete