Amazon Banner

Sunday, September 22, 2013

How to climb better, run faster, swim more easily

Tonight I'm going to reference a physical truth used to illustrate a spiritual point and bring it back to apply to fitness and racing pursuits.  This isn't a "guest post" but does come out of conversations with my pastor over the past two days.  David and I worked out together for about 2 years and still challenge each other, and right now he is winning!  That gave me the idea for this post.

In Hebrews 11 there is the famous list of the "Heroes of the Faith".  Then chapter 12 opens up with a challenge based on all those heroes and uses the analogy of letting go of the weight of "sin" so we can run faster.  Like in the parables, a physical fact the listerners would know is used to illustrate a spiritual point.

But the physical truth holds as well.  David was talking with me about how much easier it is to climb on his bicycle now that he has lost over 20 pounds.  While we obsess about how much our bicycles weigh (or even our running shoes), he pointed out that as he lost weight over the summer climbing got easier and easier.  Even after being sick for a couple of weeks, he was able to climb better than in previous years.  It also was much less expensive to lose a few pounds than try to shed weight off of his bicycle.

I know I need to lose 5-10 pounds of fat and either replace it with muscle or just plain trim up a bit.  Fortunately (for me) the bike I'm riding right now has a 1000cc engine making the horsepower, not my legs!  But even pro motorcycle racers watch their weight!

So there you have it-a suggestion on how to climb better and run faster, plus my attempt to use a physical illustration of a spiritual truth and a physical truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment