Amazon Banner

Friday, September 27, 2013

You gotta have "go to" workouts!

Yesterday was a struggle to get into the gym.  I needed to workout, but life was trying hard to get in the way.  I knew the workout would help with the stresses I have right now, but still was kicking around whether to go to the gym after work or not.  I had my workout gear, I was near the gym, I had planned to workout, but....

That's where this post came from-I have a "Go To" workout that takes about half an hour, hits major muscle groups and ensures I get to the gym, get some work in, and get out.  For me right now it's the Stronglift 5x5 lifting workout.  Since I just reset my weights, I don't have to rest long between sets-a minute is enough currently.  When I'm lifting heavier that time extends, so in a pinch I'll make it 3x5 and cut the sets.  It also got another workout toward my goals added to the "done" category-getting the weights back up, getting my strength back up to above-average, and my points total for the Presidential Fitness Challenge going up!

At other times, my "Go To" workout was a quick bike ride on a 7 mile loop or a 1/4 to 1/2 mile swim, all of which were done at tempo.  Instead of thinking I had to have an hour (or more) to slog along in the gym, on a bike, or doing endless laps, the Go To workout needs to be something you enjoy, have the required equipment and facility/roads readily at hand, and can be done quickly and at high intensity.  You'll find it will clear your head, stress your body and revitalize both your day and your workout plan.

So what's your "Go To" workout?

No comments:

Post a Comment