Amazon Banner

Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Follow-up: Hinesville GA YMCA Water Aerobics class

Nearly eight months ago, I wrote a post about swimming laps at a Y indoor pool when the water aerobics class took over about 1/3 for their class.  As recounted in the original post, some of these folks would never be considered "fitness models" as many are fighting what appears to be morbid obesity, limited mobility and other chronic issues.

Recent work travel has taken me back to the Hinesville/FT Stewart GA area and I stayed at the same hotel that comps workouts at the Y.  I had remembered this benefit, and packed my goggles.  I was able to swim some laps during my stay there, and sure enough I inadvertently timed it where once again I was finishing up as they warmed up and started their class.  One of the gentlemen in the class I remembered from February-while still very large, he's still there, getting his workout on.  I would bet not a one of us would look at him in another setting and realize how committed to his workout regimen and what fitness he can develop this man is.  We normally only think of the shapely person who meets our cultural and personal standards of fitness and beauty as disciplined and motivated to take care of themselves.  I readily admit one of my greatest prejudices is against obese people that appear to not be taking efforts to remain healthy.  How judgmental of me-I would hate to have had to compare workout logs with this man and other class participants, as I have been much less consistent this year than in the past.

Well done, Sir, and thank you for the encouragement and kind words!  Keep fighting for health.

No comments:

Post a Comment