Amazon Banner

Sunday, October 20, 2013

Take a look around-a real look, but don't be judgmental

I've recently returned from my first work trip in about 6 weeks, so after the longest break from flying and traveling in a year I was on the road again.  Which meant the full effects of modern travel-airports, rental cars, hotels and eating out for almost every meal.

Well, the first night I stopped at a Red Robin.  They are what they are-burgers in a pseudo-diner/pseudo-sports bar atmosphere (especially on a Monday night).  Most of the menu consists of large burgers and sandwiches on bready buns and the signature Red Robin bottomless fries.  Throw in sodas, beer or shakes and we're talking lots of calories and only the condiments or occasional salad as the only non-starchy vegetable.  So I scan the room.  Yep, almost everyone is above-average in size and probably body fat.  Some are definitely obese, and even those with inflated BMI due to muscle mass are carrying too much bodyfat (your author included-working on the extra BF since retiring!)

So I start a small experiment-what is the rough overweight/obese percentage where I am traveling, and what menu choices are routinely available to eat healthily?

Day One:
Planes don't really fit us anymore although seats are wider and aisles are narrower to fit them now
Red Robin menu-tough but if it's your cheat meal....

Day Two:
Hotel breakfast-oatmeal available (with sugars and fruit) but the waffle iron.  Waffles.  Ahhhhh.  Real butter available (a plus) but also a rack full of pastries
Food Court lunch options:  Subway (manageable), Pizza Hut, sushi, and Wings Zone
Supper-Famous Dave's BBQ, more meat and starch, some veggies, cornbread

Day three-five
More of the same
Military folks bigger and slightly heavier than 20 years ago, civilians on base (mostly mid-40s and up) generally slightly overweight with a few in shape and a few obese.
Town generally overweight

I'm spoiled, as I live in San Diego County CA where it is nice enough to be active outside nearly every day.  I have also spent my adult life around a sub-set of the military that values fitness greatly and has nearly world class athletes as members.  Remember the blind Paralympian swimmer that demolished world records in 2012?  One of my peer group, so I had to work out hard just to fit in.  But this trip reminded me of how much fatter we are than previous generations.

Our bodies are "fearfully and wonderfully made" and bodyfat serves multiple purposes.  Its a buffer from famine, allows women to carry and nurse babies healthily, and regulates our hormones when not too high or not too low.  However the required bodyfat and the amount most of us carry around are way different-and getting worse.  And the main cause is all of us (myself included) rarely eat enough foods close to the way God made them, and don't reward restaurants or stores that offer them to us that way.

Rant over-

No comments:

Post a Comment