Amazon Banner

Monday, February 16, 2015

Getting back into the gym today/Daily Workout/Workout of the Day

The cold I've had for almost two weeks is in it's final stages, holding true to the 10 days to two weeks normal duration.  I'm mostly well and looking forward to getting back into the gym for a "real" workout.  One of the beauties of Stronglifts 5x5 and similar programming is the easily scale and adjusting of the workouts.  Resets and drops are already built into the program-when you "miss" at a weight two-three workouts there are reductions in poundages and then later sets.  I'm going to incorporate some of the same concepts as I get back in the gym this week.  So here is today's planned workout:

Warm-up
Squats 5x5 at 135 (a 10% drop)
Press 5x5 at 70 (just about 12%)
Bent Rows 5x5 at 95 (a small drop)

This will be a pretty solid workload as my body recovers but I've been sleeping pretty well and will ensure I drink plenty of water and rest through the next few days.  The other great thing about my programming under SL 5x5 is by adding 5 pounds per workout I'm really only setting myself back 2 weeks total-1 week recovering and now 1 week building the poundages back up.  When my goal is to do a 1000 pound powerlifting series by next January, consistentancy and not blowing up/getting really sick are more important than poundages this week.

I'm also updating my Presidential Fitness Challenge point totals and am getting close to the next award level.  I'll post an update on that topic specifically when I catch up on the log-keeping.  Once again I've fallen behind and have to enter about 8 weeks of data, but that should be enough to get the next award.  Then they start spreading way out, including the million point award!

See you at the "bar"!

1 comment:

  1. Just a quick update. Managed to get all the adjusted lifts but had to work out of order due to squat racks being hammered. Also did squats as 1 set of 5 and two sets of 8 since I was working in while some Marines were pushing their weights up. Note: Marine gyms are packed on holidays!

    ReplyDelete