Amazon Banner

Wednesday, February 18, 2015

My and other workouts of the day

I recently began posting my daily workouts.  But I realized other than creating a virtual log, I wasn't benefiting anyone but me unless they were also doing Stronglifts 5x5 or a similar workout.   This Sunday a friend at church asked me if I was still doing any personal training.  His current workout plan doesn't seem to be working for him, or possibly it's working but he's gaining muscle faster than he's losing fat.  That has been a common source of discouragement over the years-both in the Navy's "Chub Club" and other weight loss situations.  Remember 1 pound of fat is much "blobbier" than one pound of muslce, and many of us also build muscle faster than we lose fat!

So here's my "workout" of the day and some suggestions based on very generic goals:

Today for me:  More rest.  While my energy level is still good as I get over the cold, some joints are showing some wear and tear, so I'll lift again tomorrow while resting today.

Aerobic workout:  20 minute or so interval workout

3 minute warm-up on aerobic exercise of choice
start at 1-2 below normal workout level for 1 minute
Increase 1 level per minute for four minutes (Minutes 4-7) then drop to original level
Repeat for minutes 8-11 and 12-15.
Starting minute 16 at original level jump 2 levels minutes 17, then 18.  Cool down minute 19.

Done in 20 minutes.  This is based loosely on the old "Body for Life" interval workout

Overall fitness weights program (not powerlifting based)

Warm-up

Squats 3x8 50% of max
Bench press 3x8 50% of max
Seated Rows 3.8 50% of max
Hanging leg raises (both to stretch and for abs) 3x5-10

All of these workouts are like my Stronglifts 5x5 program and should get you out of the gym in less than 45 minutes.  If you are working out longer than that you need to have a distinct goal that requires that amount of time (like a long running or bicycling event) and good dietary and rest support.  We tend to two extremes in my mind-not training at all or over training.  Fitness is build more in frequency and repetition (consistently stressing our lungs and muscles 4-6 times a week) than in long endurance events.  I found when training for half marathons and long bike rides once the muscles and joints got used to 1-2 hour efforts it then became more a matter of hydration and fuel.  But each of us is different, so personal coaching and experience is important!

No comments:

Post a Comment