Amazon Banner

Tuesday, February 17, 2015

The usual illness recovery phenomenom

Many years ago when I was playing youth basketball I missed two or three practices being sick.  I remember the first practice back after Mom had declared me "well enough" to go back.  While I am definitely NOT related to Steve Alford (or he got all the basketball genes in the family if we are!) I lit it up that practice!  Quicker off the ball and in transition, better cuts, and couldn't miss when I shot.  I felt more energetic, more athletic and just all around better.

This has happened a few other times-workouts after colds or short illnesses have been good, intramural sporting events echo that basketball practice from nearly 4 decades ago, and just my over-all mood and "pep in my step" seem to be higher.  Today is no exception.  Despite getting a little less sleep than normal last night, I'm over my cold and feel much more energetic.  Yesterday's workout was just enough work to feel a little bit of it but not be overly sore or run down.  Instead I am ready to get back into the gym, and excited to push the weights back up tomorrow.

I don't know all the ins and outs of why this is-my medical friends probably could explain that my body is still ramped up from fighting the infection and new cells are bursting out replacing those damaged during the illness.  Whatever is going on, it's great to realize it's happening because it means I'm well!

No comments:

Post a Comment